Thread: 5 days post op
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 5 days post op

I had a left side first rib resection 5 days ago. As soon as I was out of anesthesia I could feel the blood rushing into my arm which was wonderful! I wasn't expecting quite that quick of a reaction.

I had a lot of nausea right away which I have had before when I have had surgery so it wasn't a surprise. It just got worse however to the point of actually throwing up which is such a joy right after having a rib ripped out! They put an anti nausea med in my iv which helped a little but not much. They tried several others but it just kept getting worse. Finally I asked my doctor if they could take me off of the morphine pump because I had a feeling I was reacting to that and ta da that was it!!

I was put on oral hydocodone and pepcid for tummy just in case. Two days after surgery I was more than ready to go home but my doctor came in and said that they would take out my drainage tube and keep me another day. I didn't argue but my nurse could see my disappointment when he left. I started to cry and my nurse says "oh hell no!" and she went after the doctor and said that I was really looking forward to going home. He said that he like my determination and said sure let her go home. I love my nurse!!

At home now for 3 days and if I keep ahead of my pain and keep ice packs under my arm (incision in arm pit) I do real well. The doctor told me to do light stretches and lifting of my arm starting today. He didn't think I needed to go to PT which I don't know if that is a good decision or not.

Does anyone have a list of exercises I should start with or a site I can look at? I want to get back to golfing by the middle of May which my doctor said he says with my attitude I will get there
tidyteresa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote