Thread: Bone grafting
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Wire,

Have you ever worn or considered wearing a removable partial denture?

If your teeth have been missing for more than a few years, your current bone level will be greatly diminished and your sinuses could be quite low. You are correct in that this surgery would be quite extensive but more than that, it may not be advantageous.

Have you had more than one consultation with oral surgeons? Have they talked about the possibility of doing mini implants? Not every one is a candidate for them but it may be worth the discussion.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
Hi,

I have been advised that I should consider having implants where all my molars once were.

Unfortunately there is no bone structure in the upper region of my jaw and therefore bone grafting will be necessary which will also mean that they will have to do a sinus lift on both sides.

I can't seem to come to terms with the sinus lift and grafting. I've read from other posters this operation is quite serious and the after pain and swelling is considerable.

I understand the logistics of the process, it all is logical from a surgeons explanation and the numerous sites I've read but I have also read where patients suffer greatly post grafting with swelling the size of lemons, extraordinary pain, nose bleeds and throwing up for at least 1 - 2 weeks after.

And then of course is the added fear that the graft won't take and it was all done in vain.

So what are the chances of the bone grafts not taking? Especially as it is such a large area to grow that has been empty for so long?

And what are the chances that my sinuses will be damaged?

I would greatly appreciate some feedback.....I'm 52 and still have a good 30 years left in me
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote