View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolby View Post
I'm posting this on behalf of someone I know who's been complaining about neuropathy symptoms for about a year. There seems to be neuropathy at various places: toes, feet, legs, thighs, hips, abdomen, etc. Also, there seem to be very tiny red dots that appear on his feet (there often disappear and reappear). Also, his feet are often cold and feel stinging type of pain (small fiber neuropathy?).

He works in a factory and stands most of the time. Before the symptoms appeared, he worked 10+ hours and his legs often became tired. He's not working such long hours anymore, though. He's 23 and not diabetic (FBG of 80) and tested ANA negative, so apparently no autoimmune diseases that could cause neuropathy. But he does have some inflammation (ESR=6, high tryglycerides) and his WBCs and platelets, though normal, are in the low-normal range you typically see among those who suffer from autoimmunity like lupus, RA, hashimoto's, etc.

Related to Vitamin B deficiency perhaps? I don't think it's petechia since that tends to be a lot worse than the red dots he has. No itching or pain at all. The small red dots appear on both feet. See enclosed. Any ideas?
Hi, I assume they tested him for thyroid disease. His sed rate is low but WNL I believe but it has been a while for me. I hate to even ask this but is he a heavy drinker? Sometimes that can cause PN but I'm assuming you would have told us that.

Suggest he go back to the doctor and ask for a A1C. I can't hurt to make the request. I also have idiopathic and have been told by my doctors you can test negative ANA and still it can be autoimmune. My GP told me the antibodies they do have testing for are only the tip of the iceberg.

He is so young, I hate to hear he has PN. It sounds like you are a good support system for him. Good Luck!

The first thought I had on the red dots was flea bites but they would itch. My mother in law had bites like that once and I think she was told the were mite bites.
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dolby (02-26-2013)