View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dianna ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna_Wood View Post
You have a touch of the cynic in you, No? The reason they are suggesting the surgery for Young Onsets is they progress slower than an older person. The DBS will keep you at your best day on drugs. That is why I wanted mine done 8 years ago. I was able to cut my meds to a 1/3 of what I took prior to surgery. Researchers other than Medtronic were the first to discuss this.

Medtronic marketing strategies, I have no idea. Does having DBS done earlier with Young Onset? You betcha!

Dianna
We all have a touch of the cynic in us however to me it is simple risk versus benefit. I am unwilling to risk DBS as the risk doesn't outweigh the potential benefits for me at this point in time.

I have no doubt Medtronic are trying to maximise the target audience for DBS and the most obvious unexplored market is yopd. Is it ethical to promote brain surgery when not absolutely required, I suspect Medtronic and its shareholders would respond with a resounding "yes".

As MJF has said 'the next time they go into my brain I want it to be to get it done'. Until that time dbs remains a last gasp option for me.

Take care,
Neil.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eltopo (03-07-2016)