View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermathman View Post
We all have a touch of the cynic in us however to me it is simple risk versus benefit. I am unwilling to risk DBS as the risk doesn't outweigh the potential benefits for me at this point in time.

I have no doubt Medtronic are trying to maximise the target audience for DBS and the most obvious unexplored market is yopd. Is it ethical to promote brain surgery when not absolutely required, I suspect Medtronic and its shareholders would respond with a resounding "yes".

As MJF has said 'the next time they go into my brain I want it to be to get it done'. Until that time dbs remains a last gasp option for me.

Take care,
Neil.
personally, i don't think anyone takes getting a DBS lightly, i also agree neurosurgeons don't get paid unless they perform neurosurgery. i'm happy it is an option, it wouldn't exist unless some pd'ers symptoms were insufferable. and it does seem as time goes on and neurosurgeons/staff get more experience and the technology improves it deserves greater consideration. that said, lots of clinical trials ongoing that might provide something as good or better, i hope. cogane not included. ceregene next up.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eltopo (03-07-2016)