View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Things Helpful to Me

I recently began having MP symptoms. Ironically it was caused by trying on a back brace to help with a strained back muscle! Within one hour of cinching the belt I felt the characteristic pain down my left thigh. (The aleady inflammed area probably had all the chemicals present to cause more mischief).

I played the Ibuprofen game (which goes first - stomach or leg pain) with very little sleep over the past week. My doctor gave me a regimine of oral steroids that I have held off taking. Looking on line it seems like cortisone injections and local anesthetic may be the real solution. Surgery also seems to be very effective as the last resort. I'm trying to be conservative though.

I discovered, in my case, that the nerve damage seems to be very much on the surface - just above my hip between my spine and rear pelvic bone. Looking at diagrams on the internet I see the nerve runs right over a ligament through the thigh muscle. If I lightly touch that 1/2-inch spot on back, I can induce the pain in my thigh - almost like a sensetive tooth.

I found that the only position that gives relief is a fetal position on the bed - on my knees, chest on pillow, elbows on bed. Sitting with elbows on knees, chair height lowered, also helps a lot. I also discovered that if I totally remove contact with my waistband - lower pants to hips so belt is below my pelvic bone, it really helps. (no tucked-in shirts) Seems to stop the pain-induced inflammation, letting the nerve heal.

I've tried to stay active - and as the week has gone by I found I can do physical things around the house and garden almost pain free now. Mornings, however, are still hard to get through - though its improving.

I see I may have a less severe version that some of you, but maybe these observations will be helpful.

Paul
PaulL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote