Thread: Recall Support
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation

Justice,

No. It's not over by a long shot. They're finding "secondary contamination" -- products that were run on the manufacturing lines after the initial contamination are also being contaminated.

Turns out that there appears to be significant fraud and manipulation involved by the original suppliers of the melamine-contaminated grain ... so there's no telling how far this goes back and how widespread it really is.

Apparently, they were putting the melamine in the grain because it mimics "additional protein" in the product.

Since this also seems to be affecting human food, I think it's going to DEMAND that better testing procedures be put in place.

The problem is it's impossible to test for everything. Especially when you throw liars and manipulators into the equation.

I would think that it should be possible to analyze say a pet food product and know what it should look like on a purely chemical analysis and then determine if it doesn't look like that. But, I'm probably being naive and too simplistic.

I have a problem, too, with a company that "manufactures" 95 different brands of cat food and dog food when, obviously, it's all the same brand, except for maybe some additional salt or spices or vitamins. I think that type of thinking -- that you can have one thing and say it's really 95 things -- is a significant part of what allowed this problem to happen.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote