Thread: Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Frustrated

Hi Everyone, I am a frequent visitor to this forum, and have found lots of helpful info. But felt the need to post my feelings and questions tonite.
I've been dealing with PCS and an upper cervical neck injury for over 2 years now.

I fell on black ice and hit the back of my head. I wasn't knocked out, and tried to suck it up and thought I'd be fine. At the time of the accident, I had just changed careers, as a personal trainer. I was previously working for a big company, doing IT work. And my job was outsourced.

Also 6 wks prior to my fall, my ex-husband died, after an 8 month battle with cancer.. We had been divorced the year before, after being together for 21 years.. So I was going thru a lot of loss and change before my accident.

My initial main symptoms were nausea, head pressure, fatigue, fullness in head, some wooziness, and headaches. And Sensitivity to light and noise..
I had a CT scan and later an MRI of my head and neck.. Both were ok. The 1st year I saw 2 neurologists. Neither were very helpful, and so I didn't go back.
I also saw an Osteopath and a Cranial Sacral therapist.. Both gave me relief, but not enough, to be symptom free. I also had acupuncture for about 3 mos.. It was very relaxing, but didn't resolve my main symptoms.

In the past year, I was tested at the SUNY College of Optometry in NYC, on the 5th floor for Head Trauma patients. My diagnosis was convergence insufficiency. And so after that, I went for Vision Tx for 4 mos..
I also started seeing an Atlas Orthogonal chiropractor last Feb.. She took x-rays, and said my Atlas was out of alignment. And she believed it was restricting blood flow to my brain. Once it was stabilized, I would heal.. I was going weekly for the past year.. My atlas would never hold for more than a few weeks at a time. My chiro didn't want me to lift much weight, until my atlas was stable. Living alone, it is hard to always follow the 'rules'.. and Being a personal trainer, it is hard not to pick up weights. I only work part time, at a local gym, and have a few in home clients. But I'm like a handicapped trainer... Argh ! Most of my clients 'get it'. But it's very frustrating.. I used to hike and bike a lot, and work out at the gym.. Now I can't do any of that, without getting the pressure/brain torqued feeling in my head. My main source of exercise now is walking..

I finally stopped seeing my chiro weekly..it was getting costly, and I wasn't getting better. However, I started myofascial therapy a few weeks ago.. So far, I feel it is helping my neck.. But not my head yet.. My chiro also told me that their was a lot of tissue damage and trauma from the fall. So I am hoping the myofascial therapist can help with that. Then maybe my atlas will stabilize..

In the past 2 years, I have healed on some levels.. I don't have much fatigue, nausea, or whooziness. My memory seems fine... I play lumosity a few times a week. And my scores have improved greatly..all over 90th percentile.
But my main symptom is the head pressure, if I exert myself too much, or if I'm stressed.. And even when I need to eat (my brain lets me know it).

Mark, I know you've said you have an atlas - occipital injury. I am assuming I have something similar. Sometimes, when my neck is really out, I almost feel like there's a stick going up the back of my head... Also causes ear pressure. But since seeing the myofascial therapist, I am finding some relief with my neck. I just wish I knew exactly what was wrong.. But I am also tired of seeing new drs or practitioners...

Is there something I'm missing or should / should not be doing ???
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated...
Thx !
Keepin'TheFaith07 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote