View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by painman2009 View Post
Thank you for your responses,
I do go to his games and practices and try to coach and support him, we also go to parks(zoos) and aquariums, and I have taught him chess and as a family we do games during dinner, as well as all of that we watch TV together, we share the same likes as far as cartoons go and some of my shows,I have even read books in which he started to read so we had something to talk about just he and I. but he knows that I took my daughter and him to work with me landscaping and taught them what I could before RSD, long traveling is out, by the time I get there I am of no use to any-one. movies are as money allows , we share our likes with music but that is shared through out the house, he is one of four. I understands what he is looking for , and the fact that I am getting worse is weighing in on this as well. I try to do all the things he needs when Im having an ok day(pain levels around 7/8. )but being on my feet is getting harder and harder as well. I am teaching them all to cook and creating recipes with each of them individually but it seems insufficient for him. He is going to be 12 soon and the time will come quickly where spending time with me is out of the question(no dad I wanna hang with my girl ) . As far as the beach goes, I can not cross the sand, or rocks and gravel as it is here. I have tried with bad results , it spoiled every-ones day . He is just very specific now. all I can do is see what time does and do what I can when I can. Thank you for your responses , they are well received
It seems you are doing more for your son than you give yourself credit for. I know of men that don't do a fraction of what you do with/for your children. My husband's father for example didn't come home from work until 11pm. He did stop in for dinner with the family. His father kept promising that when my husband was older, he would take him to places... My husband's father died when my husband was in his early teens and my husband really never had any real quality time with his father. The fact that your son could share his feelings with you is great testimony to the father that you have been for him. I'm sure your son is worried about you- as most of our families worry for us. He loves you and doesn't want to see you suffer. And, how you handle your illness- with courage and open discussion is setting a great example to your children as to how to handle adversity. You are right- your son will soon want to spend time away from the house, with friends and girls. But this is a normal growth process. Give yourself a pat on the back for the son you have helped grow into the caring person he is today.
reluctant@thetable is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (02-27-2013), Brain patch (03-06-2013), catra121 (02-28-2013), finz (03-05-2013)