View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 01:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateLynne View Post
Thank you for the support! You are too sweet!
I am having a rough time lately, I feel like my reflex sympathetic dystrophy is getting worse and worse.
I have been majorly misunderstood by a friend who thinks that I should not take any medication for pain... and I am so upset over the situation.
I am on narcotics, antidepressants and anticonvulsants, all to help with the pain. I know that Lyrica is working for me, and it makes me hope that with an increased dose I might get more pain relief.
It has been pure hell for me lately, and I am in such severe pain. I try and not show it to anyone around me, but it is so hard to live with all this pain.
Does anyone have ideas on explaining to a friend why you take meds when you have chronic pain?
Thank you so much everybody for the hugs and kind kind words! Idealist~ hey that sounds like a great idea about setting goals. I will have to set teeny goals because of my pain and limitations.
Thank you so much, everyone. I really was helped. And thank you SO much, sadlyme and Janet and Idealist. You all were a great help and I can't thank you enough. I can use your prayers and support right now, and can you please give me an idea on how to explain to my friend??
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kate. First, I hope you are feeling better today and that things have worked out between you and your friend.

Second, I want to let you know that I have just gone through something similiar, but with my DH. I also have MS, along with my spinal problems, but the MS pain is the worst He has always been so very supportive, and does understand that I am in pain. The worse I get, the MORE he understands. BUT, when he found out I started Oxycotin, all he could think if was "addictive and dangerous!!". He gave me his thoughts on it, and I had to do my explaining to help him understand. Now, being that he is my husband, I DO think I owe it to him, even if it is just to set him straight on the reality of narcotics.

You DO become dependant one them, no doubt. But there is a big difference than being "addicted". We are using them for the right reason, and it's not to get high! And they are only dangerous if you are not monitored correctly, or if you are not taking them as rx'ed, crushing them, etc...

Now, after I asked him what his point was that I would be dependant on them, well.... he did not have an answer That was it! lol

I agree you owe your friend nothing, well, except to remind her not to judge you unless she has been in your shoes. If you have explained your pain to her and that you are under a DOCTOR's CARE, and she still insists on judging you, I think it's a mute point. I hope you can keep your friendship either way though Best of luck to you!
jena1225 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote