View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, crmak. Welcome.

Plaquenil can actually make MG worse in some patients. That "might" be what happened with you. Not all doctors know all of the drugs that could be (relatively) contraindicated in MG. The drug doesn't necessarily help with all Sjogren's' patients. Has your rheumy discussed any other drugs for it?

Are you being looked at for lupus? I hope not! It's not a great disease to have.

What are your symptoms of MG? Is it just exertion that brings it on or do you have it while doing nothing? Do you have ptosis (eyelid drooping)?

You know what's kind of funny, is if you have MG, taking Mestinon might help with your Sjogren's. It increases eye secretions! Have you ever seen the eye mask at eye doctors specifically for people with Sjogren's? I've heard they do help if you wear it while sleeping.

If you do have MG, be cautious of overdoing things. Do you have breathing problems? An emergency in MG, whether you're diagnosed or not, is feeling generally very weak, not being able to swallow or not being able to breathe in and/or out well. If you get that bad, you should really get to the hospital pronto or dial 911, while someone is calling your neuro for you. I don't want to scare you, only let you know what to do if you get worse. Some patients who have MG and aren't diagnosed or treated yet can have an "MG crisis" and need help right away.

Please ask as many questions as you need to! There are a lot of MGer's here who are great at helping and giving you the support you need right now. It's very hard to not know what is causing you to feel so sick. I hope you'll get that diagnosis soon.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote