View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 04:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Hi Theresa

I am sorry, I can't give you much information - I had an aneurysm clipped, but it was before rupture. I just wanted to tell you that I am sorry that you are going through this - I am sure that it is actually harder on the loved ones than it is on the aneurysm survivor.

Please be aware that the brain takes a very long time to heal. I can recall (after my clipping surgery) dreaming - on the rare occasions that I could actually sleep - and not being able to differentiate between dreams and reality when I woke up. All of my dreams and my nightmares seemed so very real at the time - although on a logical level I knew once people talked to me.

Please remember that your mother has been through a huge physical, emotional and psychological trauma. Depression is so common and so is mood disturbance, anger and emotional outbursts in the first few months.

I think it is a great sign that your mum is so mobile and that her motor coordination and recognition is so good. I am sure it must be so difficult for you that she is feeling trapped and so defensive about stuff in her past. Just keep being there for her - it is still early in her recovery and it will take time to see exactly what (if any) deficits she will be left with.

Please don't give up hope - even with all of your concerns, it sounds like your mum is a very strong person. If she will let you, cuddle her and reassure her when she is scared or upset. Talk to her and encourage her to share her feelings.

Good luck - it can take up to two years for full recovery to take place (and even then things can improve). Just keep loving her like you do.

Regards - and keep in touch

Lyn
Hi Lynn, this is Jasmine. You mentioned you had an unruptured aneurysm clipped. I am from NSW too and am very much interested to know who your surgeon was and if you would highly recommend him or her. I have a 9mm aneursym in my MCA and had sought an opiniion with one surgeon, however, would like to seek a 2nd and possibly a third opinion. I would like to know your experience with the doctor - and also your experiences post operation - what side effects you had, how long you were out of action from work, and if your cognitive skills were affected. I am really very scared. My concern is that I would no longer be able to do my job that entails a lot of analyses, spreadsheet formulation, use of statistical tools, etc. Appreciate it very much if you can help. Thank you.

Best regards,
Jasmine
Jasmine Lindsay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote