View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I appreciate Ravenclaw's reaction. MG is a tricky beast. It sometimes goes into remission for no apparent reason. Llonghair, you are very kind to share what has been so beneficial to you. My cautious response comes mostly from some bad experiences I've had with acquaintances who believe that every illness can be treated with nutrition (which I understand is not what you're saying). I certainly believe that bad nutrition can make an illness worse, especially if there are sensitivities and allergies involved--and that fixing the problem can therefore improve things. But I know people who believe that all diseases are caused by bad nutrition, and what follows from that premise is that if you're sick, it's your own fault. Again, I know you're not saying that.

I especially want to recommend caution when it comes to Dr. Mercola. He's the guy who published an article claiming that AIDS is caused not by the HIV virus, but by the immunosuppressant effect of the stress of being HIV positive. http://www.omsj.org/issues/can-azt-a...aids#more-4606 This is not a serious scientist whom I would trust to give me advice about how to make my immune system function properly.

It took me a while to find the article, because he's removed it from his website, and replaced it with an ad for spirolina (so all links redirect there). I had a friend who brought me a container of that stuff once. She was all excited--look how much protein it has! It was indeed amazing. In fact, according to the label, there were more grams of protein in that container than there were grams of spirulina. Truly a miracle food! I don't know if Dr. Mercola's brand of spirulina overcomes the basic laws of physics in this way, but he does claim it inactivates the AIDS virus. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-heard-of.aspx

I also want to recommend caution when it comes to making decisions about flu shots and other inoculations. Yes, they're risky. What needs to be kept in mind is that the infections they prevent are also risky, especially for someone with MG. There's no risk-free decision. Infections tend to trigger MG crises. For someone who already has trouble breathing, the flu is thus a triple danger. Many of us here are on immunosuppressant drugs, and so the flu is a quadruple danger to us. These dangers have to be balanced against the risks of the shot itself.

One more note of caution: I also have Graves, which I put into remission by taking pills to suppress my thyroid (without changing my diet). My longest remission so far lasted five years. Anyone who has had Graves in the past should consider herself "in remission" and not "cured," so as to be on the look-out for recurrences, which are very common. Mild hyperthyroid symptoms are subtle, and might not be noticed, but can really wreak havoc with your health. Anyone who has ever had thyroid trouble should have regular blood tests.

OK, done being a wet blanket! Congratulations on your improvement. I hope that you inspire me, and others here, to try some of your ideas. As for me, I have a chronic house-guest (I've given up hoping for a cure, but I would enjoy a remission) with a passion for gardening, and I'm going to make him earn his keep this summer by providing me with tons of fresh, organic vegetables. If I go gluten- and dairy-free at the same time...um...how long do I have to do it before I'm allowed to revert to my old ways? Just asking.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (03-02-2013), Quandry (03-02-2013)