View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
Yes the second recovery was terrible. I had more pain from that than the actual problem I had to begin with. I reversed my entire cervical spine. I thought that hurt, until I had that second sugery. The first 3 months were agony even with meds. Yes burning, but mostly these spasms that took my breath away. I did have pins and needles for about the first six months, then all resolved quite well in fact. I took narcotics all during the first two years, afraid of the the pain that was remaining. Then last summer, I decided to do something on my bucket list. I swam with a horse in the gulf of mexico with other disabled spine people. I fell off, laughed and got right back on. I had no additional pain at all from the activity. So....I ditched the morphine. I asked to come off it. If I could do that, what was I needing the meds for????
As of three years out, I still have hydrocodone and percocet on hand. I take them infrequently, and check in with pain management. Sometimes I over do things, or pick up something just too heavy like I did the other day. I go back on Monday, as I fell for the first time. The neck hurts below the site of fusions. I just hope i didn't mess something up. I will always have to be careful, but in my case I feel I had a good outcome. I also know not everybody has the best outcome after a sugery like that. So many different factors play into how well a person does. We are so different in our injuries, with different degrees of nerve damage. I suffered for six years between surgeries, as I didn't have the problem addressed to begin with. I should have done the research, and gotten my records right away. You have to be your own best advocate.
I sure hope you get better. I did do alot of PT. Alot!!!! My son is an OPTA, and he got me off my duff to do it at home as well. I started PT four weeks out with lots of massage. all my best to you, and a happy ending and no pain for you. ginnie
Thank you. I hope you didn't hurt anything when you fell! Please keep me posted. I'm having more nerve test done Wednesday and I'm sooo dreading it! I have a oncern about possibly having rsd so my anxiety level is high. Prayers!
Cocoa14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote