View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

You know, in spite of my notes of caution, I would like to try some radical improvements in my diet. This is not something I could handle alone, because, dang it, I have a disease that takes away my energy, and radical diet changes require lots and lots of energy--at least in the beginning. But I just talked to my college-age daughter, who has her own health issues, and we decided that we can manage it together, for May, June, July and August at least. If we feel remarkably better we'll be motivated, and have the energy, to keep it up.

We are already vegetarians, but we're planning to go vegan and also gluten-free. We'll eat vegetables, legumes, fruits, lots of nuts, and olive oil. Kale, right? We're supposed to eat kale. And B-12 supplements for sure (sublingual). No sugar or sugar-substitutes. Quinoa for breakfast. Anything else? No ultra-processed "veggie burger" soy junk. We're going to try to be "ingredientarians" (I made that up) which means we eat one-ingredient foods, or foods that we make from one-ingredient foods. The point of that is just a rule of thumb to get us away from over-processed stuff. This will be a grand experiment.

What do you think? Is a four-month trial enough? Anything I should add, or watch out for? I don't think I can get myself to try dietary supplements besides the vitamin B-12 (and D, which I take already). I'd rather try to do it by eating the right stuff. Am I missing essential fatty acids here? Flax seed is awfully gassy, and I want to avoid fish.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Quandry (03-02-2013)