View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi to all,

I almost didn’t write this post because of the concern that some people will take it the wrong way and I am sorry if you did. That was the last thing on my mind to hurt those that are already hurting.

I just know that when I was at my worst…I read everyone and was grateful to all that took the time to tell me what they did to improve their health…I also didn’t agree with all but was just glad they posted and made me think…some things were very interesting and now I wish I would have followed thru on eliminating more that just the gluten faster…but it takes a lot of effort and desire to want to change what we eat, I do understand that.

I guess the best example to explain what I mean about “I was not born this way, so what suddenly caused my body to attack itself? Am I causing this? If so what can I do?” is to talk about Celiac Disease. This is easy for Celiac Disease people because you were born with the DNA and activated it by eating gluten. If I did not eat gluten I would not have developed Celiac Disease. And yes, I will never be free of Celiac Disease because if I eat gluten I will be attacked. Why do some people not get Celiac with the DNA …who knows…stronger immune system maybe.

But even for Celiacs, just going gluten free does not always mean healthy. When you have a delicate immune system, you have to change many habits to help make it stronger and better able to fight the foreign invaders. For me, I got better going gluten free but still had a lot of MG symptoms and fatigue in thighs and chest. The more I read about diet and immune system, the more I started understanding that food does affect it. This is stated by many, many well known doctors on the internet who are helping very sick people get their lives back. Can I stop my body from destroying my platelets and WBC? I don’t know but by gosh I am going to keep trying. Some people who go gluten free and have ITP and Celiac are immediately cured of ITP. I like so many of you still have tons of fighting to do and I am not going to stop fighting. That is why I think suddenly I can ride a bike…believe me I was not able to do this for many years. The fatigue was instant on a bike. This summer was the first time. And I think it had to do with the things below that I recently changed in the last year or so.

Started taking Epsom Salt magnesium baths, which gave me a deeper sleep and started dreaming again
Started drinking the chamomile tea and organic tart cherry juice concentrate
Eliminated dairy (this I eliminated mostly about 4-5 years ago)
Eliminated Sugar
Started taking Chlorella

With MG, we do know that the immune system is creating antibodies that attack the receptors. And I think the doctors know this answer too..in that the gut is releasing toxins into the bloodstream and they are attacking the receptors. And what more and more doctors suspect is that all autoimmune diseases may be very similar to Celiac Disease…something is causing the attack…and it probably is starting in the gut…..and they think it might be food, toxins, metal overloads. And yes MG also has some DNA that may be turned on by something???

Can we stop the attack…I don’t know….I do know that my major MG symptoms are better by babying my immune system. But, when I sweep the whole house and wash all the floors at once…my face droops (not my eyes) and I do get some fatigue but laying flat helps and most is gone quickly. So of course, I am not cured but oh so much better.

And for my background, I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis by one of the top US MG doctors and also dx by an Ophthalmologist. My symptoms were choking, difficulty swallowing, horse voice, soft voice, slurred speech, could not whistle, Double vision, blurred vision, weakness in face, eyes, neck, cheeks, chest and thigh muscles which got worse with repetition. I also had foot drop and lots of tripping and would drop things all the time. I was diagnosed with small airway disease on top of a restrictive component. These were just the MG symptoms. I also had a ton of neuro symptoms too.

Also I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, Rosacia, ITP and Leukopenia and the Rheumys always thought I had Lupus and was just waiting for it to activate.

My Rosacia and Fibromyalgia are gone. My Rosacia was so bad the doctor said it was permanent but now it is gone.
Also Dx in hospital with MVP 1990…my doctor does not think I have this anymore??? Interesting!...I had it while I was sick and they had med students listen.
Fibrocystic Breast disease disappeared after going gluten free…and I had about 15 cysts per breast.

As far as my previous lifestyle before MG and Celiac, I also never ate junk food except homemade desserts, hated fast foods, mostly ate salads, chicken, lots of fruits, veggies and pasta. Made home made whole wheat bread. I exercised almost everyday at a gym. Drank fruit juices and herbal tea and ½ cup coffee and a little wine….and never smoked.

As for Dr. Mercola, I stand by comments on how helpful his information has been to me. Do I agree with all of it..no, just like Mike Adams who is edgy but has some very interesting information. Dr. Mercola almost always has research to back up a lot of his information. Do doctors make statements and then reverse them…it happens all the time. Major Celiac Disease doctors used to say there was no such thing as Gluten Sensitive…if you didn’t test positive you didn’t have it. Now they are saying there is such a thing as Gluten Sensitive and it is serious and there are more people that have this than Celiac. Now these same doctors are searching to figure out if there is a way to diagnose faster…other antibodies etc.

Sorry I keep writing long posts….I do much better before lunch and then my brain goes crazy…LOL…I took lots of breaks yesterday!

Whoops just saw another post and Annie's..will answer them a little later.
Thanks for reading and any comments welcome positive or negative.
Llonghair is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (03-02-2013), Interested (03-02-2013), mrsD (03-02-2013), Quandry (03-02-2013), seishin (03-02-2013)