Thread: Optic neuritis?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

If your eye pain is "substantial"...as in the worst you've ever had in your life. Call your doctor as immediately as you can. Optic neuritis can cause pain when you move your eyes, so you really should have that checked out. Call your doctor.

The first time I had optic neuritis. I would classify it as the worst headache I'd ever had in my life. I probably should have gone to the hospital that night when my head hurt so bad I thought I was dying, but I didnt. Woke up the next morning with a big blind spot in my left eye. It took about a year for that to clear up.

I've also had optic neuritis where it caused diplopia (double vision), but also gave me pain behind the eyes.

Last year around this time, my right eye started to hurt, but I didnt have any obvious vision problems. My eye hurt for about a month and a half before I started to have vision problems. That time I went to the eye doctor a week or two into the eye pain, and we'd decided to wait it out. So, after a month and a half of eye pain that would not go away, and then the vision weirdness moved in. I lost almost all vision in the right eye for about a month or two. (cant remember exactly how long that lasted). I ended up freaking out when I couldnt see. Pain, I could deal with, but not being able to see. Holy cow, I went running to my neuro and my eye doctor and they both got together and said I needed IV steroids. So, they called my regular doctor and got him to get the IV steroids set up for me.

I'm not sure why the neuro or the eye doctor couldnt do the prescribing last year. I think it's because when all the MS stuff first started, I made sure that my eye doctor, the neuro and my regular doctor all got copies of anything that I went to see one of the doctors for. So, I think they got used to getting together in a conference call or playing phone tag with each other so they all knew what the other guy might have been doing. I'm just glad they all play well together and help get things going.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote