View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsarge View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. I had to take an entire year off from school. My concentration, for lack of better term, is kinda like the dog from the movie, "UP". My Neuropsychologist recommended that I be put on meds for the concentration, and it is now being maintained by my primary care physician. It helps some, but I am no where near what the previous me was. It is really hard. I find myself "daydreaming" a ton. I stare off into space, but all of the professionals tell me I should still see improvement, even though I am over my 1 year mark. I know that I push myself too much, do too much and don't take the brain breaks I need to recharge. It's too hard. I want to feel "normal", but who's to say what's normal right? I miss the old me so much sometimes. But I know the new me is the same but just have to do things differently.
I sometimes wonder if a year off would have been a better idea, but then again, I did feel almost better before school started. The comparison to Doug rings true for me too. My neuro sounded like she almost refused to give me meds for the concentration. Would a normal doc, maybe?

Dealing with a loss of or separate sense of self is pretty normal for PCS, I gather. I've also heard that time is the only healer quite a few times now, which makes dealing with things harder. The daydreaming and bad concentration seem to be signs that the brain is working too hard and is telling you to take it easy for a bit. I take breaks seriously, yet it is still something that only helps for a while before things get worse again.
kimik21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote