View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer14 View Post
Hey I understand how you feel. I am also in college, freshman, and have been dealing with PCS for over a year now since my last concussion. I understand how you feel with the loads of work associated with college, it slapped me in the face when I first started.

I have also had problems concentrating and my doctor started me on something similar to ritalin, it also helps keep me awake because I was falling asleep so much during classes. I could see some improvements in my concentration and study habits. Could be a possibilty or just something to maybe bring up at your next doctors visit? Does studying with a friend help?

Is there anything at your school that can help people with problems like this? My college has a program set up that arranges tutors or notetakers, they have also gotten it so that I can have extended time on tests and take it in a quieter environment. Something else to look into? I have a hard time reading for almost any amount of time, especially textbooks and have thought about asking if someone could read them to me instead.

For the migraines I would look into medications, I was on a combination of two drugs for a while, Amitryptline and one other I can't remember the name of, but those two together seemed to really help the migraines.

Try not to get stressed out, you may be at the point where this could be a chronic condition and while you are not used to doing as poorly in school it could just be the way it is now. I am not saying things can't get better it might just be a point where it is better to accept the lower grades and keep the stress down. Honestly I am at the point where I am happy just passing my classes, it was a hard adjustment but I realize my mental capacities are not what they used to be, and probably never will, so it is more healthy to just appreciate being at college than stressing out about what grades I could be getting.

I hope at least a little of this could be helpful, best of luck.

-soccer14
Thanks so much for your reply. I'm also a first year and I go to a small and rigorous liberal arts college. Transitioning while going through this makes everything difficult as it is. Studying with friends hasn't helped me in the past, maybe because they don't know how to keep me on track and it's hard to see how easily they get things done.

My school has academic advising, which I kind of mentioned already. I'm treated as a student with a "temporary" disability, so I was offered the services you mentioned. I got this smart pen thing from the school that records the lecture as you take notes and it's super helpful for those days when I can't pay attention in class or have a migraine during it. I can also get more time on tests, something I haven't yet taken advantage of too much because I've only had one exam. I studied really hard for it and I've done the reading for the semester, but the prof seemed to think I hadn't and was very nit-picky about my essays and silly details, though I do admit I made a lot of dumb mistakes. Argh.

Right now I'm on an adjustable dose of Amitriptyline that increases each week until it helps the migraines. I was on a baby dose (10 mg) for a while and it did nothing. I'm also on Nabumetone twice a day.

Your advice is comforting. I'll really try to keep what you said in mind when I feel stressed again.
kimik21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote