Thread: 2nd opinion
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi. Weight gain is a side-effect of prednisone, but not of other immunosuppressant drugs. I'm on azathioprine (Imuran). It actually suppressed my appetite for a few weeks until my body adjusted. I haven't had any other side effects that I notice. Really, none at all. I'm probably not typical, and who knows what long-term effects it's having. But I don't even get sick more than I used to. On 250 mg. a day, I'm still the only one in the house not to catch whatever's going around. I can't remember the last time I had a cold or cough or sore throat.

Again, I'm not claiming to be typical, but I wanted you to know that not everyone has bad side-effects from Imuran, and weight gain, as far as I know, is only a side effect of Prednisone, and not the other immunosuppressants.

Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntress View Post
Hi, I just wanted to ask about immune suppressants, see i'm currently taking 90mg of mestinon every 4 hours except for nights I take the mestinon timespan. my neuro wants to put me on immune suppressants but I don't want to even try them with the side effects. That scares me so much. Right now, I have symptoms every day. from vision, to generalized weakness and almost always my speech but some days i feel normal for a little while. I know I cannot work, still waiting for my ssi hearing actually. I have a family history of heart problems, my mom has had 3 heart attacks, my aunt died from a massive heart attack, 2 other aunts have also had heart attacks. my grandfather also died from heart failure and thats only on my moms side. dads side also has problems. theres also strokes from dads side. and another thing is, i finally am loosing weight..dropped 75lbs in the last year and a half. I know I have MG and struggle daily with symptoms but I am happy with my weight now. I read immune suppressants can make one gain. I dont want that. any one else had immune suppressants? How did it work out for u?

so now my neuro is sending me to another neuro for a second opinion...to lehey clinic, it's like ahhh!
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
southblues (03-06-2013)