View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi teapotts,

Thanks so much for your kinds words I do try my best to be helpful here.

Infections that are related to our teeth can indeed cause or contribute to systemic illness anyplace in the body. The mouth is very vascular which means the bacteria in the mouth is filtering through the bloodstream continuously. It's too bad that most physicians do not think to look in their patients mouth or even ask about their patients dental health because the mouth can often be the first place to show signs of physical illness. One of the problems with making this correlation is that all too often physicians are not educated in dental health and/or chronically infected teeth such as root canaled teeth are mistaken to be okay.

Most of the time, in order for a fistula to form, the infection has to be present for a long time. The fistula is the body's way of finding a release from the pressure of the infection. The bacteria burrows a hole in the bone as it makes it way through the bone to the outside. If the fistula didn't form, the pressure would become so great that a large swelling would occur. Unfortunately, dentists are taught to not be too concerned about the fistula and treat the tooth as if the fistula was insignificant. Which means, they also neglect to inform the patient of how this long standing infection can affect their overall health. Dentists who understand the whole body connection to the mouth think very differently about long standing infections.

So when you take into consideration the common sense of what I have just written..... it is very possible for your long term sinus infections to be related to the long standing tooth infection. The tooth may or may not have been the culprit of your sinus infections but it very well could have been a contributing factor. Sinus infections can have various contributing factors especially if they are chronic. The more chronic they are, the more complicated they can be to eradicate because the bacteria from a sinus infection is also filtering through the digestive tract... which is 75% or more of the immune system.

Do you or have you had teeth root canaled? Are these teeth in your upper arch? Do you have allergies to some foods, dust, dust mites or pet dander? All of these things... etc.... can contribute to chronic sinus infections. Do you have or have you had digestive problems like IBS, colitis, constipation.... etc? Again these things are chronic and take a toll on the immune system making it difficult for the body to be healthy or recover from infections.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by teappotts View Post
Bryanna,

I joined this community because I've read some very helpful posts by you dealing with dental problems in general and root canals specifically. I just want you to know that as a layman I really appreciate the time you take replying to all these various posts and problems that people have.

If I could ask you a question, I would be very appreciative if you could reply.

I've had some nasty sinus problems going back probably three or four years, I just had a tooth(#31) removed that couldn't be saved and had developed a fistula right below it. My question is, do you think this infected tooth(Lord knows how long it's been like that) could possibly be a lot of the problem I'm having with my sinuses? Any reply or speculation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
teappotts
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote