Thread: Alcohol
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drod313 View Post
What do you guys think? Anyone with experience? Should I not drink? Will I ever be able to just let loose and have fun and drink again? Any info would help. It's tough being 24 and having no social life.

What I think: your PT is wrong by saying "it's safe". Alcohol is toxic to your brain. Not just sometimes toxic, but always. How you choose to take risks is your business but it's definitely not "safe".

Anyone with experience: Not exactly, but I used to enjoy wine with my friends and now I know that's just not an option for me, IF I truly want to heal. If I'm ok with hurting myself for temporary pleasure (let's be honest, many, MANY humans are obviously ok with this, thus why smoking, overeating, drug use, are prevalent) then someday perhaps I'll try a glass of wine again. But right now I can't imagine purposely ingesting a toxin that will further disable my brain.

But I loved my brain, it was a fantastic specimen. Other people may not have an issue taking risks with theirs.

Will you ever be able to let loose and have fun and drink? Yes, but not without symptoms and consequences, and that's your choice to make. What are some other reasons you'd like to get better besides being able to socialize? Working out? Playing sports? Focus on those other reasons.

It is tough being 24, in general, I'd assume, because your peers are still hellbent on self destruction and hedonism. Being the sober one may not be fun, but it's the healthier adult choice. Ask yourself if any of them would suffer weeks upon weeks of awful symptoms just to fit in with you for one night? Doubt it.

About it: October 26, 2012 I fell backward on an icy parking lot at work. I was on Workers Comp for 9 months. My PCS : everyday headaches became once in a while headaches, and neck pain became manageable. Still have occasional mild dizziness, sometimes fullness in the ears, convergence insufficiency, sequencing struggles, short term memory struggles, verbal processing delays. CT neg, MRI neg. Therapies: prism glasses, acupuncture, icing neck, resting, supplementing, Elavil 20mg at bedtime.

NEW: Completed 12 weeks of physical therapy and returned to work full time.

About me: I'm a marketing manager, a mom with a blended family and wife to a heart attack survivor. I believe my brain injury taught me more than it cost me. I'm grateful to still be me!
MsRriO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (03-06-2013), Mark in Idaho (03-06-2013), Mokey (03-06-2013), MommaBear (03-09-2013), shezbut (03-08-2013)