View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 01:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The decision to have the Chiari surgery is a difficult and scary process.I had the surgery last year after having severe issues with my heart and BP such as a resting heart rate of 180 and blood pressure of 230/180. I was literally days from death but even then I was afraid of the surgery. Having the surgery saved my life, but I have a lot of permanent damage from waiting as I was diagnosed just days before the surgery. Dr.Parrish at Methodist Hospital and the NICU STAFF were very professional and tried to keep the pain to a minimum (as much as is possible after the surgery). There is always risk with any surgery and you are right to be cautious, but to quote my neurosurgeon "If Chiari is affecting your daily quality of life, and there is a chance to reduce your suffering why continue to suffer when you have the chance to have a better life?" Please just don't expect the surgery to repair every symptom, it can come back, and some aspects never go away completely- especially if you have a connective tissue problem; but the surgery saved my life and bought me a few more years with my children. So if you can handle the symptoms I suggest you wait on the surgery, but if your case is severe don't wait. I have had doctors tell me people don't die from Chiari, but the secondary issues sure can. Please do a lot of research on the neurosurgeon you choose, ask how many times he or she has done the surgery and what his or her success rate is and look for patient reviews as well. Those steps will save you a lot of time and frustration. You need to have complete confidence in the DR you choose. If you can get to Houston, TX I would recommend Dr Rob Parrish out of Methodist. I wish you well and would happy to answer any other questions you may have.
ChiariGirl84 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote