Thread: dentures
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Bobby,

For some reason I got the impression that you were a bit younger and I couldn't help but be concerned about why you were losing all of your teeth! Sorry if I was pressing you for information :/

In your case, you could have one arch done at a time and then the other one soon thereafter. Usually the upper arch is done first. The extractions and the immediate denture is placed at the same appointment. The denture acts as a band aid, helps reduce the swelling and also helps to shape the bone as it is healing so the permanent denture can fit better. A month or so later the lower teeth can be removed and that denture can be placed at that same time. Then 6 months to a year later, a new set of permanent dentures can be made for both arches. The reason for the two sets of dentures is because after the arches fully heal, the original set will no longer fit properly. They can be relined a couple of times but that's about it.

I hope this information has helped.... thanks for sharing your story with us. I wish you all the best!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymorgy View Post
thank you so very much. I am going on 69. my teeth aren't broken or decayed.I had my gums cut about twenty years ago and had a bridge put in the upper left hand side. that fell off a few years ago and the teeth came out. I did smoke. I also suffer from dry mouth from all the medications i take. I guess i have periodontal disease. You already just gave me a lot of information which I really appreciate.
again thanks so much
bobby
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote