View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 11:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Paul, I just want to say that many of your symptoms are very consistent with MG, so I'm so glad that you're being tested for it. To hear that you were diagnosed with fibromyalgia with symptoms like these makes me furious. When you see the neurologist, give specific details. Don't say "I get tired"; say "my legs get so weak that I fall down" and "I have trouble turning over in bed." Don't say "my eyes get tired"; say "there are times when I can't keep my eyes open even though I'm not sleepy." That sort of thing. Specific details.

If you are diagnosed with MG, the good news is that there are treatments for MG that help a lot of people significantly. There is a drug that doesn't treat the cause of MG, but helps a lot of people with the symptoms. It works immediately (by which I mean in the half-hour it takes to digest it). It's called Mestinon (generic: pyridostigmine). It's a relatively safe drug, so many neurologists will prescribe it to see if it helps, even if they only suspect the patient has MG and the tests haven't come back yet. You may walk out of the neuro's office with a prescription for it. I hope you do.

There are also longer-term treatments: drugs that may eventually put you into remission, and infusions that can make you strong for six weeks or so at a time. And some people have their thymus gland removed, which can help a lot, too.

Keep in touch here. Let us know how it goes.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Tracy9 (03-09-2013)