View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default root canal gone bad

Hi everyone and thanks for all the good information. I too have an infection blow one of the roots on my 1-6 tooth (3rd from theback on the top right). I had a root canal in Nov 12 adn a ceramic cap put on in Late Jan 13. Sligiht pain started about a week ago on the outsie of the gum line. I had an X-ray at my dentists yesterday and he confirmed small pocket of infection.

We discusse various options. His preference was to referr me to an endodontist for a cleaning of my root canal. ANother option he proposed was to drill out the portion of my tooh that was infected hopoing that the tooth could still stay standing on the remaining part of the root.

After reading everything I can find on this site, I think those options are a waste of money and possibly dangerous to my health so I have contacted a dental surgeon who can see me on Tuesday 12 Mar. He wants me to take penicillin starting immediately as apparently it is difficult to freeze a tooth that is infected....although I don't see why that would be a concern as they intend to anesthsize me.

To complicate things I am scheduled to fly from Toronto to Punta Cana on Friday 15 March and I don not have cancellation insurance so I do want to go.

Questions:

1. If the dental surgeon does the surgery on Tues, will i be OK for my flight and holiday for a week by Friday?

2. Do I need to take the penicillin. Currently I am gargling and swishing 3 or 4 times per day with Nature's Sunshine Silver Sol whci seems to be keeping my infection down.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken
squasher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote