View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 04:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Gene - I'm not sure I get where you're coming from with this question, but I will take a little whack at, as I may soon be facing another surgery, tho not back-related (which is a relief!).

You see, I have been slowly 'going downhill' since I started work in March. For the first four and a half months my workday included a train ride from central to northern NJ - Trenton to Newark. Maybe that's what started me on this downward path . Whatever, my hemoglobin and hematocrit #s are way low - like 9.1 for hemoglobin, when ref range is 11-14 for women, hematocrit is 25.5, instead of in the mid to upper 30's. Anyhoo, I have a genetic Mediterranean anemia, which leads to the early destruction of my RBC. I may have to have my spleen removed, the only treatment for this disorder, and not sure I want to, but may not have any other choice.... Having no spleen leaves a person more susceptible to infection.

The cost? Not monetary, but hope it's not my life . Any surgery is serious and scary!

This probably doesn't answer your question, but it let me have a chance to vent a little about my current medical problems .

So, are you wrestling with a surgical option, or is this question just hypothetical .

Hugs, Jacquie
Just Jacquie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote