View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Bryanna,

Thanks for following up and explaining everything to me. I definitely didn't have debridement. Oh my God what you described makes me shudder! The pain level is still the same but it isn't worse, so I guess that's a good thing. I've still been irrigating gently with the warm salt water, taking my antibiotic and using the prescribed mouth wash as directed by the OS. I still have a nice size hole where my tooth was but it's my understanding it takes a while for it to fill. I took a flashlight and looked inside the hole, I didn't see anything down there so at least there isn't any debris stuck in there. My only concern is I've noticed more swelling in the gum surrounding the hole and two small white/yellowish bumps on the gum as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Nicm,

Again, all of your symptoms including the elevation in pain are classic of a dry socket and the preferred treatment is to debride the area (this is more than irrigating it with his syringe) and then pack it with a pre medicated sterile piece of gauze. That would bring you instinct relief. This packing is usually removed and redone a few times within 7-10 days.

When the oral surgeon debrides the socket for the initial packing he scraps the bone a bit and the tissue to get it to bleed so it forms another clot. The dry socket occurs when the original clot has been disturbed and the bone literally becomes dry.

As I said, a dry socket will eventually heal on it's own but it can be painful for many days and the bone may not heal properly.

I am sorry to tell you all of this after the fact .... your oral surgeon should be the one explaining this to you.

How is the pain today?
Bryanna
Nicm15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote