View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Nicm,

Yea, you have a dry socket. However, at this point it may be too late to debride the area because it is trying to heal on it's own and it's not always a good idea to intervene at this stage. So you may have to just tough it out and hopefully the bone will heal okay. I'm sorry you were not informed of problem at the beginning and have had to endure this pain.

The swelling around the gum and those bumps could be irritation from the irrigating that you have been doing. Ideally, an extraction site should be thoroughly debrided at the time of the removal... then if necessary 1-3 says later... and then left alone. I would try to avoid eating on that side of the mouth, irrigate it only once a day before you go to sleep and rinse with the mouth rinse that the dentist suggested. See if that helps at all.

Keep checking in ok...

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicm15 View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Thanks for following up and explaining everything to me. I definitely didn't have debridement. Oh my God what you described makes me shudder! The pain level is still the same but it isn't worse, so I guess that's a good thing. I've still been irrigating gently with the warm salt water, taking my antibiotic and using the prescribed mouth wash as directed by the OS. I still have a nice size hole where my tooth was but it's my understanding it takes a while for it to fill. I took a flashlight and looked inside the hole, I didn't see anything down there so at least there isn't any debris stuck in there. My only concern is I've noticed more swelling in the gum surrounding the hole and two small white/yellowish bumps on the gum as well.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote