View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Lynn, thanks so much for your quick reply and for sharing with me your post op experiences. Sorry I was not able to reply sooner. I drove to ACT to visit my niece who is studying there. Have not seen her for almost a year. Thanks too for recommending your surgeon - I will call his office to make an appointment. I have seen one surgeon (referred by my GP) who had a good look at my MRA and scan and recommended crationomy (not clipping). The radiologist was in his room and also looked at my scans. My aneursym must be fixed by clipping. Coiling was not recommended. To be really honest, I am very nervous. I understand that each person is different - age, health issues, attitude to surgery, etc - but I have read so many post op experiences on the internet and they have similar side effects as you've described. You were lucky you could be away from work for 6 months. I cannot be away that long, I have limited sick leave days earned, but I will take time off work (even without pay) to recover and I will not force myself to return to work when I am not yet ready. I do have a few questions, I hope you do not mind. When you spoke to Dr. Dexter in your initial consulation/s with him prior to your surgery, did he explain to you in detail the possible side effects? I am asking because the surgeon I saw, he was over confident and he kind of disregarded my questions re side effects. I did spell out some issues about possible memory loss, problems with sensory overload, etc. But he cut me shrot and just said there will be no side effects (assuming operation went well and there are no dramas post op) and I should be back to work on the 4th or 5th week after operation. I still want to see another surgeon and will try to see Dr. Dexter too. Then I have at least seen 3 neurosurgeons and would be able to make a better judgement. My other questions - how long did it take before your memory problems disappeared? And how long before you can say you were able to do your job properly without feeling fatigued and with the same confidence as you had before the operation? I have read so many people's comments that they never returned to their old selves after surgery, they never really recovered completely from memory loss, and some had to do different work after their surgery. The driving bit does not really bother me, I do drive but I live walking distance to a train station and there are also bus stops close to my house. Lynn, I would like to correspond with you, is it possible to write to you directly via email? Thank you! I truly appreciate your kindness. Best regards, Jasmine
Jasmine Lindsay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote