View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Nitrofurantoin is also on the list of PN triggers. However, most of the studies about it on PubMed, claim it reverses when the drug is stopped. It may take weeks/months however.

There is a total lack of evidence of the PN from statins reversing.
The medical community seems to ignore this still. Most of the people coming here with PN who used statins, do not see much improvement after stopping them. I think it depends on how long the drug was taken, and which type and at what dose. The lipophilic statins seem to be the most damaging. Zocor, for example. Lipitor is partially lipophilic and therefore, may be less toxic, but IMO all of them are suspect.

Statins have recently been shown to block remyelination of nerve axons, in the brain. Whether this is permanent or not, has not
been fully explained ye
Everyone on a statin drug should be replacing the lost CoQ-10 with a quality product that is well absorbed. Statins block CoQ-10 synthesis in the liver which is part of the same pathway that cholesterol synthesis shares.

Are you having continued urinary tract infections? There are other drugs to try for that. Duricef and doxycycline do not have the PN warnings.

At one point statins were suggested for multiple sclerosis, and this study demonstrated that they actually make the lesions worse and not better. So this treatment has been dropped in MS patients.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19349355
and:
http://www.jneurosci.org/content/28/50/13609.full.pdf

This would happen in other people as well. And also at peripheral sites, lipophilicity would be less of an issue, because there is no blood brain barrier to get across. Lipophilic means more soluble in fat, and since nerve tissue is high in fat, lipophilic statins cross the blood brain barrier better than others. But in the peripheral areas of the body, there is no barrier so the statins are present at nerves more easily.

This article claims PN may be reversed.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/con.../8/2082.1.full
But I think that is probably variable, since everything appears
to be variable with PN.
I notice also in this paper, that the described patient was using metronidazole, which is also a PN trigger and damaging.
Thank you Mrs. D.
Well, I have a little complicated situations/conditions at present, some diagnosed, some not. And it seems like one have to figure out a lot self. But my neurointerventional doctor, who had been serving also as my general neurologist, did suggest that I stop Lipitor due to neuropathy. I was taking Lipitor, generic version. He also have referred me to a neurologist at a teaching university hospital who specializes in neuropathies.
I also have some strange vibration down my spinal cord, and I hope this doctor can help. This must come from some demyelating lesions I have in brain. Have been tested for MS, will continue to monitor
Yes, I have had soe recurring UTI. I have a neurogenic bladder.

Question:
Could the neurogenic bladder( which I have diagnostic positive test for) be considered as a mononeuritis multiplex?

Together with the fact that I had very acute brachial neuritis,with musle and nerve involvement. ?? could this be specified as a neuritis multiplex?
Synnove is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote