Thread: Ablation??
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 02:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I am also faced with possible nerve ablation

I am in the beginning stages, however. I go in Weds. to a new pain mgmt. dr. for a pain generator test. I'm under the impression that he does a nerve block with only anesthesia at certain nerve roots in order to find the nerve or nerves that are causing my cervical issues that cannot be addressed by my cervical SCS.

From there I'm not sure where it goes. I have read on some forums about those who have had nerve ablation and wished they had not (increased symptoms, pain in new areas etc.) but I also know that it's quite possible that those who have success don't post their success.

I think I'm going to try to stick with steroid shots for now if they can pinpoint the nerves causing my issues, if that is an option. My neurosurgeon did mention the ablation as a possible, more permanent option, which wouldn't require going back in for shots periodically.

How many steroid shots did you get? Did you get them every 3 mos.? When I get my steroid shots in my shoulders they will only do them every 3 mos.

I'm hoping that the steroid shot route will work for me, if this is the route I need to take, as I'm rather nervous about having someone cut a nerve, esp. given that they can regenerate and would require ablation a second time. I read about someone who has had their nerve ablated several times over the years and now faces the fact their dr. says that ablation is no longer an option. What does one do then?

I hope that you get the help you need! I will watch your journey as it seems you are a few steps ahead of me. Praying for your pain relief!
fionab is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (03-11-2013), Mark56 (03-12-2013), Rrae (03-16-2013)