View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If anyone is interested, I have posted a few times here about my service dog.

I recommend people look at the website for the International Association of Service Dog Partners. http://www.iaadp.org

My dog is not trained to keep people away. However, she is trained to "work" on both sides of me. My left side has more sensitivity, and by having her on that side, she automatically creates a barrier to being bumped by people.

She does many, many tasks for me. I drop a lot of things, as I also have some neuropathy. She picks them up. She steadies me walking, like you could use a cane (but pushing down hurts me to much so I can't use a cane). Helps me with clothing, puts laundry in the basket, pulls it to the washer, hands the clothes up to me. Even knows how to find the car for me if I forget where it is.

It's not all peaches and cream having a service dog. You MUST take the dogs health and safety into account at all times. Be careful of hot pavement, salted sidewalks in winter, always having fresh water to drink. And then the employees in stores can be a real hassle, and the public can be downright rude. I have been asked really prying physical questions "what exactly is wrong with you that you think you need that (bad word) dog in this grocery store?" "you look just fine. What is wrong with you?" "if you would lose some weight you wouldn't need that dog in here. Your as bad as the people riding scooters"...and they often won't take simple answers. I have been followed by weird people, my dog has been tackled and taken to the floor by a toddler that I never did see parents for, people have thrown food at her, all kinds of things.

The expense is another thing. Service dogs are usually big dogs if used for mobility. The food I buy is $50 for 30 pounds and lasts about 6 weeks. Add in treats, harness and other equipment, flea and heartworm treatment, license, vaccinations. The IAADP has sponsors that help with some of the medications and give discounts on equipment if you become a member.

However, I do a lot more with my dog than I used to, especially on bad days.

Last edited by daylilyfan; 03-12-2013 at 12:56 PM.
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CRPStweet (03-14-2013), DejaVu (11-14-2015), LIT LOVE (03-12-2013), RSD ME (07-29-2015), Supergirl123 (09-01-2014)