Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Welcome to NeuroTalk, Beachbum...

You are off to a good start. But check that magnesium and
make sure it is NOT OXIDE form. That type is not absorbed and is passed in the stool.

I think you would do better on active methylcobalamin oral 5mg a day on an empty stomach. The shots don't work well for everyone and they are not the activated type of B12 either, unless you get them compounded especially for you.

Anyone who drinks alcohol or suspects a connection with alcohol should try the improved B1 called benfotiamine. You can get this at iherb.com or Amazon. Most of us use the Doctor's Best brand. Start at 300mg a day and see what happens. After 3 months or so you can drop to 150, if your improvements sustain.

People getting B12 shots should have testing done to see if they are really working. Don't do any shot or supplement for 7 days before the test. You should be above 400pg/ml...which is the new cut off point for "normal". Don't accept "normal" comments from a doctor. Get your own numbers.
Thank you mrsD. I go in for lab work again this week I will get the numbers , that's exactly what they said your "normal" last time! Since I have been taking shots and vitamins I will reschedule for a later date. Benfotiamine 300 a day I will order some, thank you for the info. This may seem to be a stupid question but as a long time drinker I also smoke cigarettes ,haven't kicked that habit yet but have cut way back. Is is possible that cigarettes causes neuropathy? I know it can't help but it calms my nerves on the outside. My neurologist said I have sensory neuropathy and it was most likely permanent and may get worse. Probably have had this 4 to 5 years hard to say for sure but it started as a tickle in my feet changed to pain and slowly crawled up my legs. I have no reflexes with the rubber mallet on my knees and in the bend of my arms, not sure what to make of that. Thanks again
Beachbum65 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote