View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 03:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

You are very welcome...I happen to be around today.

I am glad to hear they did treatment but I don't know the dose of IVIG. For me, they do 2 grams per kilogram. That is the max dose for people that have severe MG problems. This has kept me out of the hospital for 7 mo. Only problem is that I have had to have it every 2 weeks. You should find out how much they gave him. He may need more. I get mine at home. They should be able to set it up wherever you are since they have nursing care.

When mestinon is too high, he will likely have twitching or muscle cramps. For me, my eyelids twitch most but I twitch around my mouth or my arms sometimes. You can get increased salivation or diarrhea I hear people say. I never have any GI side effects and I take 120mg every 4 hr often but everyone is different. People work up to higher doses but if he is not used to it, it is better to have a dose he is comfortable w/ and focus on treatment.

The problem with working with mestinon is that it will mask what is truly happening with the disease because it will cover it up a little for 3-4 hrs at a time. It kicks in in 30-45 min if swallowed but is he getting it IV? Or are they crushing it and putting it in his mouth? Both of those ways, it would kick in much faster!

Often, the neuro will stop mestinon entirely during an MG crisis. So, I am not sure what to tell you on this one, especially since your dad cannot communicate with you and you are unsure of the expertise of the docs.

I hope this helps....
art chick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote