View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had no idea this was being discussed here!

I only have a minute, but quickly reading thru this thread, I wanted to add a little.

The effects of soy on fertility, was not my main focus, althought disturibing.

This was the study that I thought any Mom considering using soy, to feed an infant, should be aware of.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DX

National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
10 January 2006
NIEHS PR #06-02 NIEHS Contact:
Robin Mackar

Component in Soy Products Causes Reproductive Problems in Laboratory Mice
Genistein, a major component of soy, was found to disrupt the development of the ovaries in newborn female mice that were given the product. This study adds to a growing body of literature demonstrating the potentially adverse consequences of genistein on the reproductive system.

Similar article
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DX

The NIEHS researchers previously showed that mice given genistein immediately after birth had irregular menstrual cycles, problems with ovulation, and problems with fertility as they reached adulthood. The new study looks at the direct effects of genistein on the ovaries during early development.

My bigger concern, that you all have touched on is the content of manganese, the effects on zinc, the amount of aluminum ingested (with the increased blood brain barrier and intestinal tract permeability in an infant) along with the content in infant vaccinations.

I hope you all will add any comments that you may have on this article. This was not included in the soy thread on latitudes.

I know its hard to extrapolate info on the levels of manganese used in these young pigs, to infants and the use of soy, but I thought the interplay btwn manganese and magnesium was highlighted well here.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/8/2032

Although manganese (Mn) is an essential component of several enzymes involved in carbohydrate, lipid and protein metabolism, it also is a toxic element (Khan et al. 1997 ). Acute Mn toxicity in humans is characterized by a crippling neurological disorder resembling Parkinson’s disease in humans (Chandra et al. 1974 , Cotzias 1958 ). Although Mn toxicity also has been reported in animals (Grummer et al. 1950 , Khan et al. 1997 ), Leibholz et al. (1962) fed growing swine 72.8 mmol Mn/kg diet without mortality or severe morbidity. Grummer et al. (1950) fed growing swine up to 9.1 mmol Mn/kg diet and observed "retarded appetite and growth especially during the latter part of the trial," but no deaths. However, Grummer et al. (1950) did speculate that Mn may cause some symptoms of toxicity at concentrations between 0.91 and 1.82 mmol Mn/kg diet.

AND

There are several possible points of interaction between Mn and Mg. The body can replace Mn with Mg with similar efficiency in Mn-activated proteins (Wapnir 1990 ). Similarly, Mn can occupy Mg allosteric sites in Mg-activated proteins, such as the sarcoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase (Chiesi and Inesi 1981 ). Mn-supplemented diets increased Mg excretion through the urine in rats (Gaillard et al. 1996 ), and Mg deficiency increased the Mn absorption and retention in rats (Sanchez-Morito et al. 1999 ). Scheuhammer and Cherian (1983) reported that Mn decreases Mg concentrations in both heart and bone by an undefined mechanism. Sanchez-Morito et al. (1999) found that feeding rats a diet deficient in Mg decreased urinary and fecal Mn excretion. They also observed greater Mn retention in skeletal muscle, heart and kidney in Mg-deficient rats as compared to control.

AND

In conclusion, these data suggest that Mn exacerbates Mg deficiency and is responsible for a decrease in heart muscle Mg concentrations. This reduction of Mg concentrations in the heart may therefore be a contributing factor in the deaths observed in pigs fed high Mn.

Last edited by kim123; 05-08-2007 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added bolding to text
kim123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote