View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart rebound? status migrainousus? does he have a triptan to use?

Hi Donna,

I am sorry about Devin's situation.

It comes goes and comes around with me too, besides the other stuff like depression and anxiety. Really I can hold a job with depression... harder with anxiety and/or migraines. But as hard as that is it is harder still to find employment, when one has any these troubles.

Thank goodness Devin has this union job, but all the same I realize there are limits... and if an employer wants to get rid of you they will.

Two things come to mind in his case, since you said he was basically having migraines headaches around the clock or close.

1. are you sure they are "simple" migraines and not complicated by rebound headaches? rephrase: how has he been medicating them before this recent doctor visit and for how long? If he's been using pain killers, he may be in a rebound situation - that would explain why meds don't work.

2. I know you're familiar with status epilepticus. What about status migrainousus? A migraineur is considered to be in status if a single attack lasts > 72 hours. Has he had any like that? I've read that these warrant abortive treatment - typically with a triptan, ergotamine or other. It might also be better to go to the hx where they can give it IV. Or if he takes a triptan, maybe a different one would work better for him. And i"m finding that Zomig brand is better than the generics. And if he isnt' scripted a triptan, or other abortive drug... why not?

Also thought I'd mention, the Depakote might take a while to work as prophylaxis agents often do. If the ketoprofen is not doing the trick, then something is up, and I would call the doc. Tell the doc if he has been taking a lot of pain killers and ask about rebound heaches as well as possible status.

i hope he gets free of these beasties soon! and that he doesn't lose his job. it is hard enough to keep a job in these conditions but seeking one is worse... one esentially must liie through one's teeth about reliability and availability. Even though i feel like i've got fireants in my pants as far as gettng to work again, I don't feel like i can reasonably commit to what is required. And i hate outright lying. So I really hope this gets resolved in time he does not lose this job (... and then have to find another )!

~ waves ~

Last edited by waves; 03-13-2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: removed personal blather
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (03-12-2013), Dmom3005 (03-13-2013)