View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Help Infected tooth extraction site

I had an extraction on a molar two days ago. The following day after the extraction the site had swollen and started having a whitish discharge. I proceeded to go back to the dentist today (2nd day after extraction) and he informed me that it was infected. He cleaned it out, and prescribed amoxicillin. I was told not to drink or smoke for five days. Smoking is not a problem, however I do have my engagement party on Saturday (3 days from now). I was wondering if I do drink if this will affect the area? I have been informed previously By a doctor friend that amoxicillin will not be affected by alcohol.

Also, I believe the infection may have come from certain foods I have been eating. I have been sticking to soft foods, (mash potato, banana smoothies, gelatin, hummus and Lebanese bread). However, I am finding the soft food, no matter how much I try to keep it to the one side of my mouth, still manages to go on the side of the extraction site. As the dentist has cleaned this morning, he has advised not to wash with salty water until tomorrow. Is there any foods that I should be avoiding, or eating to avoid this problem?

I'm sorry if this post seems really naive, my dentist wasn't the best with explaining after care, and to be honest, I was a bit shaken after the procedure (both times) that I didn't get a chance to ask.

Thank you in advance,
Charlotte
Cbsmith88 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote