View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Concussive symptoms after slight brain jostling

My history with concussion:

in 2003, I was doing a ski race and fell. I didn't lose consciousness but I had a bit of anterograde amnesia (couldn't remember where I placed my skis afterwards). No significant post concussive symptoms.

Fast forward to December-2012. I was doing some sparring in boxing and took some light-medium punches to the head. I felt a bit light-headed, dizzy, cognitively slower. This is followed by difficulty concentrating + headache in the day after. Things would go away after about two days.

People at my boxing gym said that I was just adjusting to "getting hit". So I kept coming back to sparring week after week. Between December 2012 to Feb. 2013, this type of mild concussive symptoms came up about 3 times.

Then in the second week of Feb 2013, I got mild concussive symptoms in an activity I had no issue with before. This activity was holding these kick pads for other boxers. They're strong kicks and would shake my entire body. But I would never get any concussive symptoms until the second week of Feb. 2013.

Third week of Feb. 2013, I was playing non checking ice hockey and got into two medium-large collisions with other players. Again the concussive symptoms came back.

First week of March. After some resting, I went skiing with friends. In my bout of stupidity, I decided to try snowboarding instead not realizing that the frequent falls on my *** as a beginner shook me up a bit. The concussive symptoms were not bad and disappeared after a nap.

Second week of March. I decided to stay the heck away from ice hockey and went back to playing basketball. During basketball, I got bumped a bit when going for a rebound. Boom, the concussive symptoms came back (slight light-headedness).

To summarize, in the recent few months, I have had a string of very mild concussions that would only last an afternoon or a day. But now I'm kind of worried that this would keep recurring and worsen. I have decided to stay away from ANY sort of contact sport. So no soccer, basketball, ice hockey, or for God's sake, NEVER again boxing. I'm only playing tennis & badminton now.

How long do I need to stay away from contact sports for before it is "safe" to go back to them?

Thanks!

I saw a neurologist but she told me absolutely nothing.
JohnZ622 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rob_d87 (03-13-2013)