View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
I started out many years ago with just numbness in my toes, I was in my early 30's, and pain, not weakness, in my legs. I ascribed the pain to varicose veins and ignored the numbness. I was 47 by the time I got to a neurologist and by that time the numbness had extended to mid-calf and I was having pain, weakness, and balance problems. Skin biopsy showed SFN, EMG showed LFN, both advanced. I now have pins and needles up to my hips and upper arms.

But I have a hereditary neuropathy, primarily axonal, and they do progress this way. Has your doctor ruled that out? I was always very strong until the past few years ( I'm 51), but was clumsy and uncoordinated since childhood.

I started the same way first in my toes tickling then numbness and pain very slowly moving up to mid calves burning pins needles , mild loss of sensation in thighs. Neurologist doesn't know what my cause is , so I quit drinking because I was a heavy drinker just to see if it would get better, I am slowly getting better I think. He never mentioned a skin biopsy what will that tell me ? My was in my early 40's when it started and now am 47 it has diminished my quality of life to the point sometimes just walking to the bathroom is a struggle. I wish I could find out if I had hereditary neuropathy my dad died when I was young and my mother died 6 years ago , but I do have a brother. Sorry I am new here and to all this, hang in there, Peace !
Beachbum65 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote