View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum65 View Post
I started the same way first in my toes tickling then numbness and pain very slowly moving up to mid calves burning pins needles , mild loss of sensation in thighs. Neurologist doesn't know what my cause is , so I quit drinking because I was a heavy drinker just to see if it would get better, I am slowly getting better I think. He never mentioned a skin biopsy what will that tell me ? My was in my early 40's when it started and now am 47 it has diminished my quality of life to the point sometimes just walking to the bathroom is a struggle. I wish I could find out if I had hereditary neuropathy my dad died when I was young and my mother died 6 years ago , but I do have a brother. Sorry I am new here and to all this, hang in there, Peace !
I am in the same boat without much info about my bio dad, but he had a daughter who wore leg braces from early childhood, so the link is there. If you are improving then it isn't a hereditary neuropathy, they always progress, although at different rates.
A skin biopsy will just tell you for certain that you have small fiber neuropathy, and may give you some idea of how advanced it is, but it will not tell you the cause. Have you had an EMG? That will tell you if there are large fiber or muscle involvements.
There is a lot of information on here about healing with supplements, diet, etc. if you are improving than you will benefit from reading as much as you can about that. Good luck!
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Beachbum65 (04-04-2013), Kitt (03-13-2013)