View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for sharing your story. I've also noted that even slight joltling,bumping etc. can be cause of headaches, dizziness etc...

I've been doing some online research regarding this but the information is almonst non-existant. Almost all the available literature deals with the most acute and immediate symptoms of a concussion but there's nothing available about the long-term outlook of concussion patients.

Hopefully your post will stay alive so more people can share their experiences, treatments etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ622 View Post
My history with concussion:

in 2003, I was doing a ski race and fell. I didn't lose consciousness but I had a bit of anterograde amnesia (couldn't remember where I placed my skis afterwards). No significant post concussive symptoms.

Fast forward to December-2012. I was doing some sparring in boxing and took some light-medium punches to the head. I felt a bit light-headed, dizzy, cognitively slower. This is followed by difficulty concentrating + headache in the day after. Things would go away after about two days.

People at my boxing gym said that I was just adjusting to "getting hit". So I kept coming back to sparring week after week. Between December 2012 to Feb. 2013, this type of mild concussive symptoms came up about 3 times.

Then in the second week of Feb 2013, I got mild concussive symptoms in an activity I had no issue with before. This activity was holding these kick pads for other boxers. They're strong kicks and would shake my entire body. But I would never get any concussive symptoms until the second week of Feb. 2013.

Third week of Feb. 2013, I was playing non checking ice hockey and got into two medium-large collisions with other players. Again the concussive symptoms came back.

First week of March. After some resting, I went skiing with friends. In my bout of stupidity, I decided to try snowboarding instead not realizing that the frequent falls on my *** as a beginner shook me up a bit. The concussive symptoms were not bad and disappeared after a nap.

Second week of March. I decided to stay the heck away from ice hockey and went back to playing basketball. During basketball, I got bumped a bit when going for a rebound. Boom, the concussive symptoms came back (slight light-headedness).

To summarize, in the recent few months, I have had a string of very mild concussions that would only last an afternoon or a day. But now I'm kind of worried that this would keep recurring and worsen. I have decided to stay away from ANY sort of contact sport. So no soccer, basketball, ice hockey, or for God's sake, NEVER again boxing. I'm only playing tennis & badminton now.

How long do I need to stay away from contact sports for before it is "safe" to go back to them?

Thanks!

I saw a neurologist but she told me absolutely nothing.
rob_d87 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote