View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is that a lot of hot air, or am I imagining things…?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegirl View Post
I saw a yet another neuro doc last week. She said patients travel all over U.S. to see her. ...She also mentioned transcranial magnetic stimulation, but said that she seriously doubted that it would work for me since nothing else has. I also have bipolar disorder & she said that could mess with things psych wise.
Maybe I'm just cynical, but why does she have to advertise herself to you when you're already in the office? It's not just that that's in poor taste, but – after eight years as a registered nurse and over 10 with CRPS – I find that it means the ego is driving, *and* the skills aren't up to snuff. Quite apart from other clues…

Why would she say TCMS is unlikely to work for you "since nothing else has," when the mechanism is so completely different from anything else you've tried? That was despairing, but not logical. It's rotten to close the door on someone in your position, without even looking to see what's beyond.

Moreover, why would being bipolar mean that it's contraindicated? TCMS and, in different ways, tDCS (transcranial direct current stimulation – nothing like ECT; this comes out of a 9 V battery) seem pretty impressive for many psych issues.

She doesn't seem to know much about it at all, but certainly feels free to chase you away from it on the basis of her ignorance. That's unfortunate. I hope you get to see a neuro who either knows more, or blows less hot air about things they don't know.

In the meantime, it might be worth researching transcranial magnetic stimulation and transcranial direct current stimulation. I'm looking into them myself, and I'll write an article once I get a sense of them. I can't do much in the way of meds, and it's hard to get massage and acupuncture paid for, so I have to look at this stuff. **

Best wishes. Good luck getting a neuro with a brain.
Piper Afloat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
reluctant@thetable (03-14-2013)