View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help ---

C5-6 You have a disc herniation bone spurs and moderate right spinal canal stenosis. Stenosis means that the spinal canal is getting narrow on the right. You also have anterior spinal cord flattening. The herniation must be impinging the cord so as to flatten it. There is also foraminal narrowing. The foramen are the holes that the nerves pass thru to get to the spinal cord. Yours are getting narrow.

C3-4 Mild spondylosis (any/many forms of degenerative diseases of the spine) with right foraminal narrowing. (see above).

C6-7 Mild central disc bulge with mild spinal canal stenosis. (see above)

The only area of concern I might have is at C5-6 where the spinal cord is being compromised. I'm glad you're seeing a surgeon next week. I hope it is a NEUROSURGEON!!! But PLEASE do NOT jump into surgery! There may be some things you don't know about spine surgery.

First, surgery is ONLY for mechanical problems. Surgery will NOT "fix" the pain. You will probably have the same pain or worse after surgery. If any doctor tells you he can eliminate your pain, RUN. He can't do that. When I kept going back to my Neurosurgeon after surgery because of horrible pain, he said "You can't have pain, I fixed you!" Oh brother. Anyway, after surgery, there is also the "domino effect." The areas above and below the surgery site will fail causing you to need MORE surgery. They fail because they have to take on more of the load. Doctors don't tell you this.

Later studies have shown that people who have had surgery have the same results as people who have had physical therapy! Now, in your case I'm not sure if that would work or not. It would be worth a try for a while, but not too awfully long. I don't know how long your cord has been impinged, but I recently found out that nerves/etc. become PERMANENTLY damaged after having been "let go" for 18 months average, so you wouldn't want to let things get out of hand.

I wish you the very best. Let us know what ends up happening, will you PLEASE? I'd really like to know. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Katieaero (03-15-2013)