Thread: Pain med help
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

LM,

For starters, I would ask your doc if he would prescribe Hydrocodone 10/325 instead of the 10/650. I don't know how often you are taking it, but too much Tylenol is NOT a good thing. Having less Tylenol per dose would allow you, IF within the doctor's orders, to try to use less medication when you are at home or sleeping and have more to use when you are trying to go out/do more. That can be a possible fix for some situations without having to ask the doc for MORE medication.

I don't know how long you have been on this dose, or how it manages your pain, but maybe you have built up some tolerance (or have increased pain). Do you think your doc would be open to prescribing something stronger or more longer acting ?

I would be hesitant to ask for a specific med. For some health care professionals, they may take a specific request as drug seeking behavior. I would say that your current med/dose doesn't seem to be working as well anymore and ask what he would recommend to help you. If you feel he would be open to it, you might mention that many members of an online pain forum you belong to have discussed/recommended a longer acting medication offers more effective management for many, without the dips in pain relief while waiting for the next short term med to kick in.

For me, Cymbalta works more on the whole body aches and pains that come from my fibro than it does on the burning nerve pain from my TOS/RSD. It does cut down on the shooting 'zingers' I get from my neck area down my L arm, but not that base burning pain. It has worked very well for the depression that has accompanied by pain issues.

For me, the Neurontin that I also take, works on the same aches and 'zingers' as the Cymbalta, but also doesn't touch that base burning pain.

Everyone is different and you never know until you try it. You may need more time on the higher dose of Lyrica to see the effects. I've been on and off Neurontin and Lyrica and I didn't see results until 1 or 2 weeks on my maintanence dose. I feel your pharmacist's "2 day rule" is inadequate to see results.

I will caution you to not suddenly discontinue the Lyrica. In addition to other withdrawal symptoms, there is a risk of seizures when that type of med is suddenly discontinued. I have never had issues like that, but I wouldn't discount those risks.

Good luck. It's difficult to find the right balance.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote