View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pain psychologist/emotional component to CRPS

I also think it's a good idea to get her to a pain psychologist or health psychologist - if you can't find one of those specialties, any good psychologist or other certified counselor should also be helpful, but there are some unique issues with chronic illness/chronic pain that they will be more experienced in addressing. If you don't know where to start finding one, you can go to http://locator.apa.org/index.cfm?event=search.text and under "I'm looking for help with," choose "chronic illness," "pain management," or "health."

A number of folks have talked about whether or not there is a psychological trigger for CRPS. I've looked at a lot of research and I think there is some evidence on both sides of the argument, and I've come to the conclusion that it is not worthwhile to try to figure it out (which is pretty much the conclusion that my own daughter's pain psychologist said they she has reached). In the end, being in long term pain effects someone psychologically AND your psychological state effects your pain level. So the bottom line is that addressing psychological health should be part of an overall treatment plan. It really doesn't matter if emotional factors were part of the cause, the will inevitably be part of the problem (to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the person) once the disorder is developed and receiving support and learning coping skills will be helpful.

Also, here's a good book for parents of kids in pain: http://www.amazon.com/Conquering-You.../dp/0060570172. I found it very helpful.

Lori

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRPSsongbird View Post
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter going through this! Get her in to a Pain Psychologist!!! It can help immensely with the emotional strain, and give some hope and confidence back t her!!! Look it up in you area, it has helped me tremendously!! We do hypnotherapy, heart-math and biofeedback.
BraveGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote