View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Tongue

I am new to the forum. I stumbled across this community researching lead migration on my Medtronics unit. My unit is supposed to be used to relieve intercostal nerve pain damage. I had a thankfully non-cancerous tumor on my rib cage removed and when the surgeon removed the tumor he severed a bundle of intercostal nerves (nerves that wrap around your rib cage and chest wall). The pain from this is similar to a constant runners cramp (if said runner were being stabbed in the side of their lung with a really long, sharp dagger) that doesn't go away ever. This makes breathing very difficult and laboring. Without pain control I have to breath in short gasps so I sound like a perverted breather on a crank call.

I had my SCS implanted in Oct of 2012 and after the horrendous recovery process I felt strong enough to tackle the long, painful and arduous process of discontinuing my narcotic pain meds. I went through withdrawal for about 3 weeks and I honestly would have preferred being shot in the head rather than go through that again. After 5 months of a rather pain free existence I found myself suffering from gastrointestinal issues - bloating, diarrhea and vomitting - as well as migraine headaches (of which I have never experienced before), side and back pains, all over body itching, cramping and a feeling as if I am having my insides bbq'd. I went to my neuro/pain doc today who had x-rays taken only to show that one of my leads has 'slipped' and dropped. The Dr. said that this is what is causing the burning/stinging electrical pain and itching. The gastro pain is due to the remaining lead's vibration being so close to my stomach and intestine area. The prognosis is to go through surgery again and have the leads removed and repositioned. I am not happy about this but I was wondering if this has happened to anybody else. Please advise.
Sirmommy32 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hannabananna (03-18-2013), Rrae (03-16-2013)