View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I understand the need for some relief. And Benzos like Xanax, etc do work in the short run.

But in the long run the pain, zaps, and whatever will increase, and you will have breakthrough events until the next pill. Basically they are affecting and enhancing inhibitory neurons and have some anti-seizure effects. Valium is given for post-icthal seizure stabilizing when people have grand mal seizures. This is to prevent slipping back into another grand mal.

The benzos have different 1/2 lives, and wear off differently.

Xanax is the fastest acting, not meant for long term use for pain.
Ativan is moderately acting...
Valium is long acting.
Klonopin is the longest acting, and will have the least breakthrough. But it is the most addictive.
As people age, they cannot clear these drugs properly and so
warnings for the elderly are up for the whole Benzo family today.

All of them are discouraged today, because of the rapid habituation to them. Getting off these drugs is very painful and takes weeks to months.

I am going to add this drug family to our Medications post in the subforum, soon. But I have been too ill to do it until about now.
Maybe this week or next.

So they do give some relief in the beginning, and seem wonderful. That effect does change with time however.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote