View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I understand the need for some relief. And Benzos like Xanax, etc do work in the short run.

But in the long run the pain, zaps, and whatever will increase, and you will have breakthrough events until the next pill. Basically they are affecting and enhancing inhibitory neurons and have some anti-seizure effects. Valium is given for post-icthal seizure stabilizing when people have grand mal seizures. This is to prevent slipping back into another grand mal.

The benzos have different 1/2 lives, and wear off differently.

Xanax is the fastest acting, not meant for long term use for pain.
Ativan is moderately acting...
Valium is long acting.
Klonopin is the longest acting, and will have the least breakthrough. But it is the most addictive.
As people age, they cannot clear these drugs properly and so
warnings for the elderly are up for the whole Benzo family today.

All of them are discouraged today, because of the rapid habituation to them. Getting off these drugs is very painful and takes weeks to months.

I am going to add this drug family to our Medications post in the subforum, soon. But I have been too ill to do it until about now.
Maybe this week or next.

So they do give some relief in the beginning, and seem wonderful. That effect does change with time however.
MrsD, Thanks for the Info. Im sorry to hear you were not feeling well, Hope you are feeling better!

I have been taking xanax for over 20 yrs (gulp) for anxiety disorder. I know now it was a big mistake taking it for so long. I wish my doctor would have warned me back then. I am also on the same low dose all these years!. I feel I will be on it for the rest of my life. The withdrawal Ive read about scares me! Since I starting having neuropathy pain my anxiety has increased and I can not sleep. I didnt increase my dose (tho I am so tempted) I just startd taking my first morning dose earlier, 2:00am instead of 8:00am to help me sleep. It helps for now ,but as you said it has a short life. I do not want to start taking sleeping pills, I already refused Ambien.

My Doc/Psych wants to switch me from xanax to Klonopin so I could be on a longer lasting med. I am nervous about this switch because I feel I will get xanax withdrawal sypmtoms. The Doc says I shouldnt have any withdrawal because I will be switching from one Benzo to another, but this still scares me for I have been taking xanax for a long time. I do not have to worry about an "addiction or dependency" unfort for me this has already happened. What are your thoughts on this..Thanks....

Last edited by Marie33; 03-16-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Marie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote