View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi you two, thanks for your replies! Better tell you what happened last night before I answer your questions.

Yesterday the pain got increasingly worse and it was hurting to breathe. The sciatica was worse (which doesn't scare me as I know the cause of that) but I also had an awful lot of pain all the way up my back, across my shoulders and into my right ribs. The burning and pins and needles in my thighs and intimate parts were indescribable! In the UK we have out of hours GP services for emergencies that don't quite warrant going to Accident and Emergency at the hospital. I rang them for advice as I couldn't find any position that relieved even some of the pain and I had fainted. They sent transport for me (I will be eternally grateful for that) and an on call GP saw me at about 9.30pm.

I AM tolerant to the buprenorphine and when I asked if it was possible this had extended to hyperalgesia, she agreed it was possible. My entire back was in spasm too, that was a first for me. My choice was to go onto the Acute Pain ward at the hospital last night for a morphine drip, or to try some Oramorph and diazepam at home. My pain levels justified the first option big time (and that was the option the GP preferred too), but I couldn't leave my husband without asking my family for support for him as he's blind. He had a different opinion but I wanted to try at home first. So I was sent home with diazepam tablets (4 x 2mg tablets, to take 1 up to eight hourly) and some Oramorph to take.

The GP was amazing, wish she was my normal GP. She said my GP should ring the pain clinic to get me seen this week, and if it gets worse again I should be admitted. She said I need my buprenorphine replacing immediately, she was not able to do that because of pharmacies being shut and them only having limited supplies at the office, also she felt it was important that my GP carried out this part, or the pain clinic, as they know my case and can draw on more history.

The meds helped ease my back for a couple of hours which was enough for me to sigh in relief. The pain came back in the night without the spasms, so I used more Oramorph and I'm here now. My GP will not be happy when I speak to him, he thinks morphine will put me into withdrawal from the buprenorphine and will up my pain levels, despite me having used both together successfully for 2 years before I got him as my GP. He's not in today so I am going to continue with the meds I was given and speak to him tomorrow. I hope I don't need admitting to hospital as I will have to find another doctor to sort that.

This morning the spasms are coming back so I will have to use the diazepam again soon, I don't want to risk having to go into hospital if I can help it but I also know that docs from the pain clinic work that ward. Not my specific consultant but still. Ow. Ow.

Leesa I read your post to my husband, hope you don't mind, just I thought it was pretty amazing how you have survived through that. I could write to my MP (member of parliament) but we have to expect a wait of weeks for a response and that response will be to contact the PALS service (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) or the local NHS patient experience manager, the latter of which I have done. They are not happy with the treatment I've had and want me to make a formal complaint, but I have to live with these doctors and going that far would make things worse I think. I *hope* what the GP said last night will work in pushing my GP to get me sorted ASAP. Thank you so much for your reply, I think you sound amazingly strong considering everything you've been through and even though I feel terrible about how much pain you must've had to endure, your post was a bit of an inspiration. Thanks.

Finz - most of my "proper" pain is in my lower back. I have nerve symptoms that radiate further out - thighs, buttocks, groin, calves, feet, ribs, hands, and as of last night very painful muscle spasms that are my entire back, shoulders and neck (and bum!), all of which are just as "bad". If I were to rate the issues, the back pain, muscle spasms and burning thighs/groin/buttocks/lower back would come tops. It always frustrates me when the neurosurgeons or pain clinic ask which is my priority, my back or my wobbly legs - the answer is both lol.

I really don't know much about where the Fibro pressure points are, I've seen a picture when googling, but it was contradicted by an information sheet I found. My sister is a qualified massage therapist but her guidelines say not to touch someone in a flareup. I'm sure she would if pushed to for me, but it made her uncomfortable when I asked. It's not an intimacy issue, she's massaged me before, a long time ago when I wasn't flared up.

As for RSD, I thought although people can have varying symptoms, that the changes in skin were pretty important for a diagnosis? I can't think of the right words to phrase that, my head is fuzzy from meds. You know what I mean?

Thank you both so so much for replying to me, it makes a huge difference when you find someone who is able to listen (ok read) and who understands. I see you both give great advice to others here and I hope everyone knows how lucky they are to have that support! Many thanks xx
KathyUK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote